The iconic Chemex is a household favorite for countless people around the globe, including us here at Ama Coffee Co.! Producing a clean, flavorful cup without any bitterness makes each cup sensational every single time!
Invented by chemist Peter Schlumbohm in 1941, it’s original design has been unchanged ever since and has been called "one of the best-designed products of modern times”. To this day, it’s displayed at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City. So, why should you choose to brew coffee in a Chemex?
It’s design is simple, and brilliant. Made of high quality non-porous, borosilicate heat resistant glass, it won’t crack under extreme temperature changes like regular glass does. It’s traditional model is wrapped in polished wood , which serves as an insulated handle, and is finished with a leather tie.
A simple and clean method of brewing coffee. Home coffee machines tend to build up rancid coffee oils and unseen calcium build up. Over time, these can cause illness when consumed regularly.
The unique 3 ply Chemex filters remove natural oils in coffee resulting in a bright, pure, and flavorful cup of coffee without bitterness or sediment every single time. In addition, you're less likely to end up with a “burt” flavor that is inevitable with coffee machines that contain a warming plate.
Learning to brew coffee with a Chemex is simple after learning a few simple steps and techniques.
Using a scale, a 1:16 coffee to water ratio is recommended.
No scale? No problem!
2 tablespoons of ground coffee for every 6 ounces of water.
Directions for a Chemex Coffee Maker:
- Start water boiling.
- Weigh proper coffee amount for size of Chemex.
- Place Chemex paper filter into the top of the Chemex making sure the 3-layered side is facing the spout, allowing air to escape during the brewing process.
- Pre-soak the paper filter to avoid a papery taste in the final coffee brew and pre-heat the glass vessel.
- Without removing the filter (to maintain suction integrity), tip the Chemex over a sink to dispose of pre-soak water.
- Grind the pre-weighed coffee and add it to the filter.
- Remove water from stove and allow to rest for 10-15 sec. (optimal 200 degrees if using a temperature regulated kettle) Completely saturate the grounds and allow the coffee to "bloom" for about 30 seconds.
- Using a continuous circular motion, slowly pour water over the grounds, and pouring into the middle until you've reached your 1:16 water ratio.
- Discard the filter/grounds, swirl coffee, and enjoy!
For greater consistency, use a weight scale and stop pouring the water at the recommended amount.
The whole brew time from bloom to finish should take approximately 4 minutes when done correctly.
Happy brewing, we hope you enjoy your Chemex experience as much as we do!
“The best cup you've ever had, every time you have it.”